Monday, January 13, 2014

shadowline saga and - the dark side of poetry 7: episode 0: Through my door [a tribute to the raven]


Through my door


Nigh a telltale heart or a raven spoken “never more”;

Try a skeleton cloaked in shadows, peering through the door.

No skin and no heart or soul; this skeleton peering through my door.

My heart stops its beating; I fall to the floor.


Not a word spoken, his arms reach out to me.

Grasping at the air inside my throat; reaching through this door.

Not a word he spoke, chasing me through my dreams.

Not a thought inside his mind; you hear him in my screams.

The skeleton in the purple cloak; haunts the greatest of souls.

The skeleton reaching through my door; and bodies full of holes.


The battlefield of love and glory is soaked in blood.

Women and children who drown within mud.

The apparition of death that claims my soul;

Grasping.

Groping.

Reaching through the open door.

My heart grows cold, ceasing evermore.


The darkness within his eyes an endless void.

I peer in and fall down; down, down to the fires below.

The moonlight reflecting off his starched white arm.

He takes my soul into his hand, to start the show.


By the shivers of deaths bony grasp.

By the cries for help, silenced to a gasp.

By the stare of negra muerta; my skin turns white.

The harbinger of death; seeks my plight.

This cloaked figure peering through my door;

A prospector claiming my life forever more.


The avatar of misery and utter despair

Behind you he follows; over there!

Behind me in every dream

Arm outstretched he follows my scream.

Across from me under the candlelight,

He takes my soul inside the night.

Outside my window on hallows eve.

I am the treasure, and he, the thief.


The skeleton peering through my door

The end of the rich, starving, and poor.


Always behind us.

Stalking! Reaping! And never sleeping.

Shwing! The scythe steals your head.

He is always reaping.

Not a nightmare, but a story without an end.

In every book.

And where the sidewalk begins.

It is a battle that you cannot end.


He’s watching you now, even as you read.

Your eyes have planted the seed.

He will never speak; he will haunt your dreams.

He will drive you mad; he will become your screams.

The faceless reaper who writes the end to your story.

Stealing your souls in a blaze of glory.


The skeleton who devours your hope.

Who consumes your fears.

You cannot run.

You will drown in tears.

All will be lost; all will come to a dreary end.

He is around every single bend.


The skeleton who peers through my door.

The nightmare who spills my blood onto the floor.

A harbinger of death; a symbol of war.

Peering.

Creeping.

Reaching through my door.

To take my soul forever more.


The symbol of my fear and decaying sin.

The mark of a race I cannot win.

A brother of mine; a sort of kin.

I think I will let him in.


The empty husk of cloth and bone

Bound by sins I must atone.

The skeleton peering through my door.

Now stands before me on the floor.

My body has passed, I am no more.

The bringer of death, despair, and ruin;

My time has come.

I let him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment